The Little Red Schoolhouse  -  @ Pilchuck Learning Center
April, 15, 2019
Good evening families and friends of Little Red!! Friday afternoon we met with the county for our pre-application review meeting and it went really well!! We were given the go ahead to apply! We have a list of things to gather to formalize the application but once it's in, it's just a matter of time. (Which as you know too well has not been on our side so far). When the application is posted there is a 2-week period for community comment-please contact me at school, via PM, or email to ask how you can get started helping with that:> We need you all!! Past, Present, and Future families, we need you all!!! Once the reviews are done, we get in cue for our public hearing and I feel confident our CUP will be granted!! As always, we are on the county timeline so I can NOT offer a start date and understand the frustration that causes first hand. Our comeback will be so much greater than our set back!! Hang in there, we are getting close.

Thank you for your continued loving support, Robyn

February 7, 2019
Please stop by with or without your kiddos Wednesday, February 20th between 9 am and 1 pm to pick up a treat and a few of your students things we held on to while hoping for a winter open date. Please share this with any Little Red Families you know. It will be here and on our website and Shutterfly email, we want everyone to be able to get their gift!!

January 23rd, 2019

It has come to my attention not all snail mail sent out January 14th with the following letter made it to their final destination. This letter will be posted on Shutterfly and our website. Our Pre-Ap meetings for the CUP will be applied for tomorrow Thursday January 24th.

January 11, 2019
Families and Friends of The Little Red Schoolhouse,
I am writing to you today with a heavy heart.  Our current situation has caused so much stress for my staff and all of you.  While we continue to move forward, I do not see a deadline in sight that will allow a reasonable amount of school to be held by the end of this school year and for that I am truly sorry.  We will continue to work towards opening our new campus but will not plan on classes until fall 2019. 
Registration will begin following the granting of a Conditional Use Permit.  The following permits are currently in process 18-151372 CBP, 18127283CT, and 19100913RK. We will notify all of you, but we completely understand you may prefer to register elsewhere as we are not officially open at this point in time.
If you have questions about where we are in the process of rebuilding I will continue to post on Facebook and Email via Shutterfly.  If you are no longer interested please let me know to remove you from that list.
Thank you for sharing your children with us.  They have been our joy and give us the strength to move forward to bring Little Red back to life.
Robyn Dalberg
1 Peter 5:10

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

January 11, 2019
Portable permit came up in cue and is being reviewed today. Septic design permit application was submitted yesterday. Progress on red house as well.  Keep on moving forward.

January 1, 2019
Happy New Year all!!
I will be in the office later this week to get in touch with families.  I hope you had fun ringing in the new year and are looking forward to a great 2019!!  Please keep eye on your email and remember to add our Shutterfly address to your contacts so email does not get lost in your spam/ junk mail folder.

December 17, 2018
Families and Friends of The Little Red Schoolhouse,
As the new year quickly approaches, I am sure many of you are experiencing some anxiety regarding where Little Red is in the process of reopening.  Take heart, we are too.  Just a few days ago I sat down and started this letter to you all with great anticipation and excitement inviting you to a Back to School Sneak Peek the first week in January. While fully expecting an unfinished site (ongoing project) we were ready to go with a start date of January 7.  As the week ended however, a small hiccup turned into quite the brick wall and none of the meetings I sat through made things sound positive. I can say my hope sank, my patience waivered and my stress level hit an all-time high.
I spent the weekend processing the news and all the steps currently in place I realized our brick wall was not impassable but in good conscience I can no longer ask that you sit patiently waiting for our new Little Red to open its doors, even though we continue to work tirelessly to that point.  I pray you do because the thought of anyone not being able to return when we are ready is absolutely heartbreaking to me, but this is not about me or my team.  We have felt so blessed by all your good wishes and unending support during the past month and a half.  We have worked very hard moving and setting up and planning new lessons for the start of classes all while we watched an army of people working on our behalf.  They are go-getters on a mission and will get us to the finish line.
Unfortunately, a few misworded forms, a couple of misunderstood statements and a scrutinizing neighbor have left us shy a few required steps to reopen on any portion of our property just yet.  Know that we have not and will not stop until Little Red is up and running bigger and better than ever!  We have permits submitted, and new septic designs drawn and being looked over for submittal this week and are continuing to work with the building and health departments, the engineers and the folks at Designs Northwest to meet all requirements in the timeliest manner possible.  I am hopeful this will all happen sooner than later but as I had stated many times in the past few weeks with construction and permits you just never really have a solid timeline.
As most of you know, the week of our eviction left us looking at purchasing a building in Stanwood that while far from ideal would have been a possible new preschool with a number of fixes and continued issues.  It was not ideal from my perspective but options in this town are very limited for any new preschool to open.  In the end the sellers never did come to terms with any of the offers made and the initial punch list from the city to get us started legally grew significantly in number of fixes and cost.
While those negotiations were in process, we looked at how to use our own property to allow us to own our school and stay in the environment we love and makes us unique in the community.  A modular unit was purchased for us to store all of our preschool stuff and we hope to be able to use it for classrooms in the future as it was built for that use and is built to federal and state codes (not Snohomish County).  But for now, while our new Conditional Use Permit is being submitted and plans for a new septic system drawn up, we are put on hold to use any of our site for preschool just yet.
In addition, we had discussed use of the Sons of Norway hall if all went poorly.  We let this idea slip away with plans to open January 7.  The board there was so very amazing and generous, I will forever be grateful to them. After a few gatherings with our kiddos though it turned out the use of their site did not lend itself to holding classes on a regular basis.  Another reason to not begin there was that paying for a security system for that site and the few other items on the punch list to make that legal for more than occasional assemblies (parties) became unreasonable financially while working on our new campus.  This perhaps could have been shared sooner but honestly up until Friday we truly anticipated being able to begin classes on part of our campus.
Sometimes things just turn out so much better than you could have ever imagined and I really believe that is happening on our new campus.  All in His timing, something I seem to never learn even after 50 years!!!  For those of you who may not know Little Red will be at 2420 300 Street NW, just down the hill from our old site (which sadly sits completely empty and unused:<).  We will continue to have access to all the Bonhoeffer Botanical Gardens have to offer our students and have a campus that has room to grow!  While I am off site until after the new year, please drive by to check it out and I will be in touch as soon as I return from my family holiday trip. (There are a few of you I will get back to with refunds as needed my first day back).
Thank you all and have a very Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year!  And as always you can reach me via email.  I have a new school address and will try to reply in a timely manner over the holiday break.
Robyn Dalberg
Director, The Little Red Schoolhouse @ Pilchuck Learning Center


Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint